Thursday, July 5, 2012

Having It All

I love this post by The Frugal Girl about "having it all."  It's definitely been on my mind as I decided wether or not to continue to work after Baby Girl Walker joined our family.  I have to agree with her in so many ways, to me "having it all" never included having a family and a career.  When I was in my 20's I might have wanted both, but the older I've gotten, the longer I was in a career, the longer I waited to start my family, the more I've wanted to be able to stay home with my children.  I definitely have friends who are moms who work full time, and while some of them do it out of necessity, and some of them do it out of choice, I don't know that any of them would say that they "had it all."  Just in the last week and a half that I've been at home waiting for Baby Girl I've definitely wondered if I made the right choice, if I'll be happy being home all the time, taking on most of the housework and cleaning and child care.  I realize that I might have to take a part time job, not just for financial reasons, but maybe for my mental stability having worked outside the home for more than half of my life.  But at the same time I love that for right now my focus can be on Baby Girl (when she decides to come that is) and Shawn.  And I'll figure out the cooking and cleaning and homemaking, and who knows, I might love it.  And here's to the opportunity to figure out what "having it all" means to me!

1 comment:

  1. I am totally with you on this one. I've lived in SL for almost 6.5 years...I was just short of my 24th birthday when I moved out here...and I can tell you that the transition from wanting to work full-time forever to wanting to be a SAHM has happened during these almost-6.5 years. I never thought it would happen, but it has. If the day should come when I have the chance to walk away from the workaday world, I will leave it behind with a smile on my face. Yes, taking a part-time job once the kids are old enough for me not to be home all day is something I also expect...but nothing more than that so far as employment outside the home goes. Amazing to me that I've gone over to 'the other side' I judged so much while I was in college and immediately afterward.

    ReplyDelete