Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Crossroads

Every day I hit this crossroad. Do I let Eliza nap peacefully in my arms, or do I attempt to put her in her crib? I know if I let her nap in my arms that she will get a good nap, but I'm also reinforcing that my arms are the only place to nap, and I'm not getting the nap time break I need to get anything done. But if I try to put her down there's a 89% chance she'll wake up, and the nap is over. Even if I leave her in her crib to cry and hopefully fall asleep, that has never happened at nap time and then I'm just stressed because my baby is crying and I lock myself in the bathroom for 10 minutes so I don't hear her cry and then I still am not getting anything done, baby is cranky and I'm stressed. But there is that 11% chance she'll stay asleep and I can eat lunch and get something done with both of my hands.

So, here I sit at my crossroads, a sleeping baby in my arms, typing away on my phone. I want my baby to nap on her own, with all my heart I do. But today I can't handle the crying and the cranky baby. I'm just not that strong usually. And she's been sick, so every nap, even in my arms, is a blessing these days. Maybe one day soon I'll work up the courage to let her cry at nap time. But today I choose sleep and peace.

1 comment:

  1. that's hard. my kids weren't great nappers at first either--for c's first few months, he would only nap in a sling on my body, and for a's first few months, i had to let her nap on my bed so i could lay next to her for a while before slipping away. a lot of people recommend sleep training and i'm told it works really well, but i've never been able to go through with it and both of my kids have eventually gotten better at sleeping--not perfect, but better. i would say to follow your instincts, wherever they may lead. good luck.

    ReplyDelete